September 21, 2011

Pear Tarte

So I had this last night for dessert and then again for breakfast (just to make sure I still liked it.......heh)


Pear-adise. The tarte is sweet but not overwhelming. The pears taste fresh (not canned) and maintain their texture integrity after cooked, which I think is really important. I love that they are not lacquered in that thick gelatinous sheen you see on many fruit tartes. The custard is divine but I wish there was more of it. The crust is my favorite part, and usually always is. After the first bite I was transported back to childhood. It took me two slices to finally figure out what that nostalgic flavor was. When I was in elementary school my dad used to take me to a little ma and pop bakery about once a week. I would always get the same thing, a cream cheese muffin and a glass of cold milk. The muffin had a crisp top and gooey cream cheese center. I LOVED this thing. I would leave the crunchy top part for last and savor every bite. The crust of this pear tarte is my childhood and that makes me very happy.




A quick note on the heating instructions: I baked this at 350 for 10 minutes (like the box says) and it was still ice cold. After another 10-12 minutes we were in business. The box says "allow to cool for 30 minutes before serving." I gave it 10.



My Rating * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment