Bento Bummed! I am going to try and break down each sampler as efficiently as possible. I could easily ramble because I really wanted/thought this was going to be tasty.
- Pumpkin with Shiso Seasoning. Mushy, soggy, zero flavor
- Spicy Long Beans. Holy smokes batman. Way too SPICY for my liking. I thought I wasn't going to be able to taste the rest of the box. kind of wish I hadn't.
- Eggplant with Miso Paste. Eggplant? Are you sure? This was slimy and tasted exactly like okra. The miso paste was gritty and sweet. Not for me.
- Soba Salad with Oyster Mushroom. I tried the mushroom on its own and gagged. It was watery and tough like a piece of freezer burned meat. The Soba noodles had absolutely no flavor and felt like cardboard slivers in my mouth. I dipped the noodles in the other compartments to try and rummage up any flavor I could. Why bother?!
- Shiitake Mushroom with Edamame and Carrot. Forgettable. And yes ONE carrot, the description doesn't lie.
- Baked Tofu with Teriyaki Sauce. Blech!!! Soggy Custard sponge anyone?
My boyfriend was making himself a grilled cheese simultaneously and burnt it. I ended up eating his charred cheese bread which got rid of the aftertaste and was better than everything else. If you can believe it.
My Rating *