September 19, 2011

Bento Box

I've been seeing this in the frozen section and finally decided to go for it. The little red box has nine different compartments so I figured my odds were good on enjoying at least a few of them.
Bento Bummed! I am going to try and break down each sampler as efficiently as possible. I could easily ramble because I really wanted/thought this was going to be tasty.


  1. Pumpkin with Shiso Seasoning. Mushy, soggy, zero flavor
  2. Spicy Long Beans. Holy smokes batman. Way too SPICY for my liking. I thought I wasn't going to be able to taste the rest of the box. kind of wish I hadn't.
  3.  Eggplant with Miso Paste. Eggplant? Are you sure? This was slimy and tasted exactly like okra. The miso paste was gritty and sweet. Not for me. 
  4. Soba Salad with Oyster Mushroom. I tried the mushroom on its own and gagged. It was watery and tough like a piece of freezer burned meat. The Soba noodles had absolutely no flavor and felt like cardboard slivers in my mouth. I dipped the noodles in the other compartments to try and rummage up any flavor I could. Why bother?!
  5. Shiitake Mushroom with Edamame and Carrot. Forgettable. And yes ONE carrot, the description doesn't lie. 
  6. Baked Tofu with Teriyaki Sauce. Blech!!! Soggy Custard sponge anyone? 
     7. 8. 9. The Three Rices (brown, curry, teriyaki) They all tasted the same. Curry had a little more flavor but didn't help the fact that they were all dry and an afterthought (not to say that anything WAS thought about)

And after nine little mistakes, to make matters worse, my mouth had this weird dry, metal, iron-like aftertaste.

My boyfriend was making himself a grilled cheese simultaneously and burnt it. I ended up eating his charred cheese bread which got rid of the aftertaste and was better than everything else. If you can believe it.




My Rating *

1 comment:

  1. I am with you on this one. I read many favorable reviews of this and tried it. After three trips through the microwave half the items were still cold, one was even frozen, and the rest were dessicated. Mushy, icky, bland and just plane bad. No stars.

    ReplyDelete